Staying hydrated is essential for health and beauty but many of my clients tell me they just forget to drink enough water.
Here are some tips to build a this healthy habit into your daily routine. Find what you enjoy and works for you, and make it a part of your daily routine.
1. Drink a tall glass of water first thing in the morning. It helps to have a glass next to your bed or one ready in the fridge so you have on less step. Some people like to add lemon, others enjoy a cup of warm water, herbal tea, or a flavored infusion (see below). If you make coffee, drink your glass of water or herbal tea while it brews.
2. Keep a pitcher of flavored infusion in the fridge, by soaking cut-up fruits and herbs in cold water. The mild sweet flavors and beautiful concoctions can more enticing than regular water. Get creative with different combinations, such as: cucumber/mint, lemon/basil, grape/rosemary, strawberry/orange/ginger, and blueberry/mint.
3. Drink a cup 15-30 mins before each meal. Interestingly, the same area of your brain interprets both hunger and thirst signals, leading many to start snacking when they really may be dehydrated. Drink a cup and wait 15 minutes, then see if you still feel hungry.
4. Carry a water bottle wherever you go. Get in habit of filling it every time you leave house to have on the go. Anytime you empty your bottle, fill it back up.
5. Getting up for a bathroom break? Use that time to also chug a glass of water. This will set up a great cycle to keep hydrated.
6. Eat your H2O. Sneak in water by consuming fruits and vegetables with a high water content. Some top picks include cucumber (96% water), zucchini (95% water), watermelon (92% water), and grapefruit (91% water).